Halachah For the 22nd Century

The Fringes of Technology meet the Fringes of Halachah


View My Stats

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

The Hulk and Shabbas

Tobie has asked me for a post on superheroes so here one is. (Actually my school newspaper did carry an article on X-Ray vision and Kashrus.) We know that the Incredible Hulk when he transforms gets bigger and turns green. Now on Shabat you are not allowed to dye something and that is one of the reasons shechitah is assur on Shabbas. Now when the Hulk turns green is he dyeing the blood in his skin or is it an immediate change. Because if it is an immediate change I don't think it can be called dyeing which is a gradual process. However if the dying mechanism works the same way as his growth process, that is growing in stages from a normal man to a muscle-bound monster. I haven't read the comics or seen the movie to know but I would say that at first glance it appears that it would be assur for the Hulk to turn green (unless there was a case of pikuach nefesh chas v'shalom). Also the muscles create the same problem because to form his tremendous new muscles he must tear the old ones which is forbidden m'doraisa because it is destruction for a constructive purpose. Therefore on Shabbas the Hulk should stay at home and leave the hero work to some hero better equipped for Shabbas.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tobie said...

Tearing the clothes, I will grant you, but I think that there is a concept that there is no such thing as dying (dyeing?) with regards to food. I would argue that the same thing applies to a person. Otherwise, wouldn't it be ossur to make somebody blush, get angry, or to hold your breath on Shabbat?

9:12 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Making somebody blush is merely a movement of color. The Hulk is actually changing the color of his blood, "lefi aniaat daati" I think it would be more like bruising a person which I think is assur because of dyeing. By the way it isn't the clothes he is tearing but the muscles.

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home